How has the invisible God chosen reveal Himself in the visible world?
Through the testimony of the lives of His children.
SCRIPTURE READING:Ephesians 5:1-21, ESV:
Imitators of God
When God is seen as He is, what do we see?
At the very core of His being, everything that emanates from Him is rooted in LOVE. 1 John 4:8, ESV
Why is it important that a child of God imitate the loving nature of The Father? John 13:34-35
Two important truths:
· LOVE is the proof of Jesus’ transforming power.
· LOVE is the authenticator of my relationship with God.
We must ask ourselves the question and not shrink back from its implications:
· what testifies that I have become a new creation…
· that I have passed from death to life...
· that I have moved from darkness to light?
Attendance at church?
Reciting the sinner’s prayer?
Reading the Bible?
These are good things, and each has its place in the life of a true disciple of Jesus, but any sinner can do them. What a sinner cannot do is LOVE. Not according to the definition given by Jesus and Paul.
VS 2 …as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
This is not the emotion of warm, cuddly feelings or a choice of convenience, but the choice of sacrifice.
“I choose to give of myself for your well-being”
· not because you deserve it…
· not because you earned it…
· not because I find you appealing…
Ø but because you are in need and I have what you need. Romans 5:8; John 3:16
· I deserve nothing but condemnation.
· The wages of my life have only earned me death.
· There is nothing in my flesh appealing to God. In fact, Scripture tells me that my very best works before God are nothing but putrid, blood soaked, rags. Isaiah. 64:6
But in LOVE God saw my need, and knowing that He possessed in Himself what my need required, He gave of Himself, so that through His loving sacrifice, I could be set free. 2 Corinthians 5:21
That is what is meant by LOVE.
· It sees the faults and failures.
· It agrees that sin deserves condemnation.
· It agrees that righteousness must prevail.
Ø But it takes into account the magnitude of forgiveness received…
Ø the immeasurable mercy poured out at the cross…
Ø and in the likeness of The Father, is compelled to GIVE of SELF for the well-being of another.
Sacrificial Choice is the LOVE God toward us.
· Not what’s in it for me?
· But what’s in me for them.
This is what it means to be an imitator of God, walking in love.
Romans 13:8-10, NLT
…as dearly loved children… walk in love….
The Mission Church is committed to serving God by making disciples in the Des Moines area.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form