Scripture Reading: Luke 24:5-7, NLT
It’s true isn’t it? One Day can literally can change everything. For some people, the day that changed everything was the day:
· they earned their degree from college.
· they said “I Do” at the alter to their sweetheart.
· their first born came into the world.
· they lost a significant loved one in death.
We all experience many of the same kind of events in life, but for each one there are one or two that stand out as truly life changing.
Today I want to speak from The Bible about 4 specific days that are truly life changing. They either did, or have the power to impact the whole human race.
Sold Into Slavery
The 1st day that changed everything, for all mankind, is the day that Adam sold the human race into slavery to sin and death.
Genesis 3:6-7; Romans 5:12.
· God created Adam, then Eve in a state of physical, emotional and spiritual perfection. It was a state of innocence.
· He gave them the earth and all that was in it, to enjoy and manage for Him. Only the fruit which grew on the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, did He withhold.
· God commanded them not to eat that fruit and warned that if they did, they would die. This had both physical and spiritual ramifications.
· Genesis 3 records how Eve was deceived by Satan and ate the fruit, but the act that changed everything is when Adam, of his own free will, chose to disobey God by eating the fruit. At that moment, Genesis 3:7 says, …the eyes of them both were opened and they knew that they were naked...
· Nakedness had never been a problem before, but now something had changed… they had fallen from their place of innocence and death came to them in several ways…
o They died in their relationship with God = Spiritually.
o Their bodies became subject to aging and disease = began to die physically.
o Their relationship to each other and to the rest of humanity, became a point of death. Romans 5:12
Not only did Adam and Eve become sinners, but the whole human race also and being sinners, we have each committed our own individual sins.
The day of Adam’s rebellion Changed Everything!
Sin’s Debt Paid… IN FULL
Adam’s disobedience sold us into slavery to sin and death, but God did not intend to let that be the final word. He foretold of a day when a women would give birth to a male child, who would provide a way for:
· sin’s curse to be broken,
· make reconciliation with God possible,
· eternal life accessible.
More than 4,000 years passed before He came, but as God promised He came… born of a virgin, by a supernatural act of God’s Spirit, Jesus was born without sin and throughout His life committed no sin. Yet Jesus death was required because only His sacrifice, could remedy sin’s debt.
2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:24-28
It’s called “The Great Exchange” – God laid sin’s debt on His perfect, righteous Son, so that His righteousness could be laid upon repentant, believing sinners.
It was a day that changed everything.
Death Conquered by Life
The next life-changing day occurred 3 days later. The day Jesus rose from death with overwhelming Eternal Life.
Make no mistake, Jesus died on the cross. His body was taken from the cross and laid in a borrowed tomb. Friday passed. Saturday, the Sabbath.
Early on Sunday morning, as some of the women who followed Him went to the tomb, they discovered the entry stone was rolled away and the tomb was empty.
That’s when an Angel appeared: Luke 24:6-7
Romans 1:4 give us 3 distinctive truths revealed through the resurrection:
1. Jesus is God’s Son.
2. Jesus is The Christ = Messiah.
3. Jesus is Lord = Master, the Sovereign One over all things.
One additional revelation comes from Romans 8:11. Anyone who trusts in Jesus will experience physical resurrection after their mortal body dies.
This speaks both to Spiritual Life through God’s saving grace and Eternal Physical Life through the resurrection from the dead and life in the presence of God forever.
The day of Jesus’ resurrection was a day that changed everything!
God’s Call to repentance and faith
While Adam’s failure cast everyone under the curse of sin, Jesus’ righteous sacrifice and glorious resurrection does not automatically remove that curse for all humanity.
God’s plan of redemption calls for this message of man’s failure, and God’s love and power demonstrated through Jesus, to preached to all people. As each one hears it they are to be invited to turn from self and sin, embrace Jesus, and be changed from sinner to saint.
For the realities of the cross and resurrection of Jesus to become realities in your life, you must receive this message by faith.
It comes down to an individual response to The Word of God and The Call of God’s Spirit on your life.
This took place for me in July of 1975.
Romans 10:9-10 say: 9…if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe (faith) in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, (made right with God) and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
On a Saturday afternoon, I was humbled before God as His Spirit was calling me to trust in Jesus. True to His Word, when I called on Him in faith, He saved me.
Romans 10:13: Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
It was a day that changed everything – Literally!
Today could be the day that changes everything for you.
· The day you receive the full-cancellation of your sin debt.
· The day you receive the assurance of eternal life.
· The first day of eternity as a Son or Daughter of God.
· Is God’s Spirit convicting you about sin?
· Are you convinced that Jesus made salvation and eternal life possible for you?
· Are you ready to repent of sin and trust in Jesus as Savior and Lord?
· Would you allow myself, my wife, one of elders or deacons to pray with you, asking Christ to bring the power of His Cross and resurrection into your life?
What will you do?
The Mission Church is committed to serving God by making disciples in the Des Moines area.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form